Sunday, January 13, 2013

{Project: Photo Organization}

What do you do when you can't get outside as much as you'd like because it's the disgustingly cold month of January (in Minnesota, no less), when you are trying like heck to save some money because you so desperately want a new house (a house with a yard that's built for five people, not two!), and when your husband says you really need to find a hobby because your crankiness and constant pacing around is driving the family bonkers? You throw a little hissy fit at your husband for being a bit on the mean side for a sunny Sunday afternoon, pull yourself up by your bootstraps and then.....

You get creative.

You old school it and make some brewed-at-home coffee (because Caribou and Starbucks are off limits until the self-imposed savings goal has been met) catch up on your blog reading real quick with the hopes of being inspired, discover this awesome post within minutes, then go on a mission to scour your crap craft cupboard for the essential tools, scour your computer store closet for the supplies (because a computer closet it what you have when you're married to a computer geek), clear off the printer because you're going to need it and then......you get busy!

To start, you grab a pack of blank DVD's and some sleeves. Bonus points if they match!


Then you log onto your favorite computer and start selecting the pictures you're going to burn. (In my case I just went thru and selected two months worth of pictures at a time to burn to a disc.)

While the computer is doing it's thing, you do your thing and drink some coffee while you listen to your printer print off a bunch of these sweet little gems:


Now if your computer is anything like my computer and takes for-ever to burn a disc, I mean we're talking you could watch an episode of The Big Bang Theory or The Middle while it burns a DVD, then this is a great time to drink a little more coffee, grab your trusty rusty paper trimmer and start cutting the squares along the solid black line.

After you have watched last week's Middle, your discs are finally finished burning, and you have labeled on them what months they were with your favorite color Sharpie, reach for your scrapbooking adhesive, blow off the accumulated dust from it, and adhere the printed labels on the front of the disc sleeves so that you have something that looks like this:


I think they turned out pretty cute if I do say so myself! Definitely a lot cuter and definitely more fun than just a mishmash pile of plastic cases and discs! Plus, they take up far less room! Especially when they're stacked all nice and neat like.


Now all you need to do is buy more DVD's so you can burn the last three years' worth of pictures that are sitting on your blessed laptop. All 6,859 pictures.  

Yeah, you're so right, we're gonna need a lot of coffee..........


Linking here:
Him and Her
Sunny Simple Life 
Cozy Little House
A Bowl Full Of Lemons 
Chef In Training 
Today's Creative Blog 
Sumo's Sweet Stuff 
Ginger Snap Crafts 
Clean and Scentsible
DIY Home Sweet Home
Someday Crafts 
Coastal Charm
Have A Cup Of Mrs. Olson 
Family Home and Life 
The Crafty Blogstalker 
Blissful And Domestic 
The Shabby Nest 
The Winthrop Chronicles
Tater Tots and Jello 
Be Different Act Normal

16 comments:

  1. This is great. I have been wanting to do something exactly like this. I have so many pics sitting on my camera, memory cards and laptop. Scary. You have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had over 11,000 pictures sitting on my laptop. It was time I did something-- and this was so simple. (my kind of project!)

      Glad I inspired you! :)

      Delete
  2. hmmm...I always think that I have to print all my photos and organize into albums...but maybe I should simplify and just burn DVDs - maybe then I would have some sort of inkling of actually wanting to organize the thousands of photos. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know-- I always think I have to print them, too, but it seemed so overwhelming because I had so many pictures. While this doesn't exactly solve my "printing" problem, I do feel more organized! Good luck tackling all your photos and thanks for stopping by my blog!!

      Delete
  3. this is a great idea! plus, this will make room on the computer for all new ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! Plus, you don't have to worry about losing all of them if your computer crashes! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  4. I really need to do this; it's a great idea! I'll be featuring this on my blog on Saturday.

    http://www.sumossweetstuff.com

    Thanks for linking up!
    Sumo:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy-- it's an easy and satisfying project! And thanks in advance for featuring me-- I feel so honored!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this post - I so need to get my but in gear and do this before something happends and they are lost - April

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great organizing idea too. Thanks for sharing:)

    Hopping by and following your lovely blog's GFC. I blog @ Getting Healthy with Essential Oils

    I am also inviting you to join Tiddle Diddle Handmade Shoppe's first giveaway event.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute idea! I finally got my pictures organized on my computer a few months ago and it has made a huge difference in using them. Next I need to upload them online so if the computer crashes or the entire house burns down they will be safe.
    I would love it if you would share this (and anything else you have been working on) at my linky party! http://domesticrandomness.blogspot.com/2013/01/friday-fascinations-8-everything-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hubby puts our pics on discs and keeps them very organized so I don't have to worry about this. Great idea though. Don't you love that there is so much inspiration out there in blogland? Never a dull moment, that's for sure! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    We found you from the Six Sisters Blog Hop. You have some great ideas and we would like for you to share with our readers too. We are hosting our first link party tomorrow and we would like to invite you to link up with us. We have a fun blog to co-host with us. Hope to see you there.

    Thanks!
    The Busy Bee's,
    Myrna and Joye.

    http://thebusybhive.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you throught Someday Crafts. Great idea. I had planned on doing this over the Holidays, until I came down with the flu. Ugh.
    I'll have to make this one of my Spring Cleaning projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! I remember reading this when you originally linked it up to my link party. Just wondering how many pictures actually fit on a DVD? We have a TON of photos too! Thanks for coming out to the organization link party today - I'll be featuring this on my Facebook page over at Clean and Scentsible. Have a great weekend!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! This has been one of the easiest organizational projects I have ever tackled. You asked about how many pics fit on a DVD-- I have been averaging around 500 per DVD. Some DVD's have had as many as 600 but I felt that was really pushing laptop, so I tried keeping it more to 500. Thanks for stopping by and a HUGE thanks for featuring me on your Facebook page! :)

      Delete

I love a good conversation so thanks for taking the time to chat with me!!